Publications by Mark Jewel
The following publications may be viewed or downloaded in PDF format directly from this site:
- "Night and day in 'Kōya Hijiri.'" The Journal of Human and Cultural Sciences [Musashi University], vol. 18, no. 2, 1987, pp. 39-59. [Download]
- "The early Kyōka: Ethics and aesthetics." Journal of Liberal Arts [Waseda University], vol. 86, 1989, pp. 121-37. [Download]
- "Desire, self-denial, and dramatic structure in Izumi Kyōka’s Yukari no Onna." Journal of Liberal Arts [Waseda University], vol. 100, 1996, pp. 279-314. [Download]
- "The Beat of Different Drummers: English Translations of Hokku from Matsuo Basho’s Oku no hosomichi." The JASEC Bulletin, vol. 10, no. 1, 2001, pp. 1-15. Republished (with an appendix) by the online World Haiku Journal , vol. 2, no. 2, 2002. The same version may be viewed on the present site in a slightly reformatted version.
- "Risks and Rewards: Reading Nihonbashi as a Gothic Novel." Annales de Littérature Comparée [Waseda University], vol. 39, 2003, pp. 1-23. [Download]
Please download the following publications from the Waseda University Repository (some clicking is required):
- "The First Primary School Songbook of 1881: A Study and Translation (1)." Journal of Liberal Arts [Waseda University], no. 143, 2017, pp. 73-94.
- "The First Primary School Songbook of 1881: A Study and Translation (2)." Journal of Liberal Arts [Waseda University], no. 144, 2018, pp. 47-89.
Please check in a library (or elsewhere online) for the following publications, which are not available directly from this site:
- “Nemureru bijo ni okeru keishikiteki kanseibi ni tsuite." Sekai no naka no Kawabata bungaku, Ōfū, 1999, pp. 443-61. In Japanese.
- "Modern Haiku: A Second-Class Art." A translation (with introduction) of “Dai-ni geijutsu: gendai haiku ni tsuite” by Kuwabara Takeo. Simply Haiku [simplyhaiku.com], vol 4. no. 1, Spring 2006. Permission for archiving only on the site.
- "Izumi Kyōka no Nihonbashi." Nihonbashi topogurafi jiten, Taru Shuppan, 2007, pp. 465-85. In Japanese.